Wombat English has prepared a list of frequently ask questions about our school and services. Please click on one of the links below to jump to a specific area.
Billing and Refunds,
Wombat English Lesson Style,
High School Courses,
General English Courses,
Business English Courses,
Lateness and Absences,
Billing and Refunds
Do you offer refunds ?
As we offer a free trial lesson before purchase, we do not offer refunds for change of mind.
There is strictly no refund on the annual fee (including textbooks, workbooks, or any other supplied materials).
Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for full details of our refund policy.
I’ve decided to quit. Can I have a refund ?
No. Any remaining prepaid lessons will be forfeited.
Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for full details of our refund policy.
Can I have a refund or replacement lesson, if I inform the school in advance, that I can not attend ?
No. Unlike the ‘drop in’ style of lesson (Where you can book the class any time you like. The class is prepared for only that day, and is NOT curriculum based.) Wombat English has a set curriculum for all Children’s English Courses, General English Courses and Business English Courses. This means your position has been kept for you only, and we can not book anyone else into the position when you are absent.
I have enrolled into an existing General English or Business English course. I have paid for 4 lessons in advance. On the day of my 4th lesson, my boss makes me work overtime and I miss my lesson. Do I have to pay for the 5th scheduled lesson ?
Yes. Wombat English will have organised staff and materials for the missed lesson. It will treated as non-attendance.
Do you offer replacement classes ?
- If you miss a class because and it is Wombat English’s fault: (For example, there is no teacher due to illness)
- Wombat English will attempt to organise a replacement class for you.
- If there is another class scheduled that week, and there is space, Wombat English will offer you a place.
- If there is another class scheduled that week, and there is no space, but there is an empty timeslot, Wombat English will organise a replacement class in that timeslot.
- If there isn’t a class scheduled, but there is an empty timeslot, Wombat English will organise a replacement class in that timeslot.
- If there isn’t a class scheduled, and there is no empty timeslot, Wombat English will refund that lesson.
- If a replacement class is available, please be aware, that it may not be at a time or day that is convenient for you.
- Please be aware that no refund will be offered if a replacement class is available, and you decline to attend that class.
- If you miss a class because and it is not Wombat English’s fault because of an Act of God: (For example, severe snowstorm, earthquake, and schools run by Katsushika-ku close)
- Wombat English regrets that we are unable to offer a replacement lesson in this situation.
- If you miss a class, and it is not Wombat English’s fault: (For example, you forget, you’re sick, you do not feel like attending class)
Do you offer replacement classes if I can not attend the replacement class ?
No. Please be aware that no refund will be offered if you can not attend the replacement class.
When do classes start ?
Children’s Classes will begin in April 2015.
Can I change my timeslot ?
No. Initial timeslots are chosen by customers. Please carefully choose a timeslot you can attend for the entire course.
Wombat English Lesson Style
Are the courses focussed more on conversation style or study style ?
All of our courses follow a set curriculum. This is by design to show the students that they are making progress. This, however, does not mean students will be sitting and reading from a textbook, while the instructor lectures. Our courses are designed to promote speaking, listening, and critical thinking. Students will be active participants in the lesson.
Do you have seasonal parties, such as Christmas, Halloween, or Easter Parties ?
No, we do not have parties. For the Children’s English Courses, we do have Special Event lessons. These lessons are designed to be fun lessons that teach foreign culture.
Eg a Christmas themed lesson might be about Christmas in Australia:
- For younger children it would involve art and craft activities, eg making Santa’s Sleigh
- For all children it would involve games in English.
- For all children it would exposing them to foreign culture.
In another year a Christmas themed lesson might be about Christmas in The United States of America. Other special events could be about a variety of different foreign events such as Guy Fawkes Night, Halloween in different countries, Easter in different countries.
Can I record the lesson ?
Wombat English does not permit audio or video recordings of lessons.
Can I take a photo of myself or my child with the teacher ?
If the teacher agrees, this is OK.
I already have the textbook, do I have to pay the annual fee ?
I’ve made a mistake and want to change my order. How do I do this ?
- If you have not paid yet (eg In Store payment, or Bank Transfer and you have not transferred the money).
- Please visit “My Account”, Select your mistaken order. Select cancel. Please reorder the service you wanted.
- If you have paid. (Eg PayPal, or Bank transfer and you have transferred the money)
- Please contact Wombat English immediately! We will organise a store credit, cancel your mistaken order, and help you select the correct order.
- Please be aware, if you delay contacting Wombat English, and your selected teaching materials are ordered, you will have to pay for them.
When will I receive my textbooks ?
Textbooks are ordered in once your payment is confirmed. Typically they take a week to arrive from the supplier. They will be given to you in your first class after they arrive at our school.
Are High School students in the Children’s Course ?
No, we have a specific course for High School Students.
My child has enrolled into an existing Children’s English course. How do they finish the one year course ?
All Children’s English courses are based on grade. Once they reach the end of the course, they will move to the next level with their peers.
High School Courses
General English Courses
I have enrolled into an existing General English course. How do I finish the one year course ?
All General English courses are continuous enrolment. Once the last week of the course is finished, it will restart from week 1. If the instructor has deemed you meet the requirements of the course, despite a late enrolment, you will be offered the chance to graduate in the final week.
Business English Courses
I have enrolled into an existing Business English course. How do I finish the one year course ?
All Business English courses are continuous enrolment. Once the last week of the course is finished, it will restart from week 1. If the instructor has deemed you meet the requirements of the course, despite a late enrolment, you will be offered the chance to graduate in the final week.
Do you teach TOEIC, TOEFL, EIKEN or other English language tests ?
No, we do not teach exam specific English. Attending our General English Courses will provide you with a range of practical, contemporary English, that should enable you to score well on English language tests.
Do you teach High School or University Entrance Exam English ?
No, we do not teach exam specific English. Our courses are designed to use practical English, and teach critical thinking skills. These should enable you to score well on an objective measurement of English ability. High School and University Entrance Exams are not objective tests of English as they are designed to fail, rather than measure English ability. In particular they rely on rote memorization and archaic English, which goes against the Wombat English philosophy and mission.
Lateness and Absences
If I am late, can I still have the lesson ?
Wombat English has a policy of not letting adult students in if they are more than 10 minutes late.
All lessons at Wombat English are group lessons. Arriving late can cause many problems such as:
- The teacher can not redo material already covered for the late student.
- The late student may have difficulty catching up with already covered material.
- The late student will be disturbing activities that students are completing.
- The teacher can not extend the lesson for the late student.
I have enrolled my child into a Children’s English course. My child needs a month long absence. What should I do ?
Please contact Wombat English and explain your situation. It is possible to put your child’s enrolment on hiatus. A prolonged unexplained absence will be considered abandonment of your place. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for full details of our hiatus policy.
I have enrolled into an existing General English or Business English course. I have been told I have to go on a business trip for a long period of time and will miss many lessons. What should I do ?
Please contact Wombat English and explain your situation. It is possible to put your enrolment on hiatus. A prolonged unexplained absence will be considered abandonment of your place. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for full details of our hiatus policy.
I need an absence from the course, but I don’t want to lose my place. What should I do ?
Wombat English will not remove any student from a course, due to absence, as long as a holding fee is paid. Your place will be reserved for you as long as you have paid a holding fee to keep your place. Please be aware, no replacement lesson or refund will be offered for these missed lessons. Please refer to the Terms and Conditions for full details of our hiatus policy.
Can I have a photocopy of textbook pages used in a trial lesson ?
No. Japanese copyright law prohibits commercial education providers from making photocopies of textbooks for students that do not own the textbook.
Are you open on public holidays ?
We are open on most public holidays. We will post updates to our news section stating if we will be open or closed for a particular holiday.